History of the School
In the 1950’s two new schools were planned to serve the rapidly expanding housing developments on the north-east side of town; High School, Herns Lane which opened in 1956 and Attimore Secondary Modern School, which opened in 1960. In 1968 the two schools were amalgamated into one and renamed Sir Frederic Osborn School in honour of one of the founding fathers of Welwyn Garden City.
In September 2018 the school joined the Alban Academies Trust (AAT) and was renamed Ridgeway Academy. The school still retains its strong sense of community which the students describe as a ‘small school but with a big heart’.