Nurturing your potential. Supporting your growth and development.
It is Ridgeway Academy’s belief that all students can achieve, and those students with SEND will receive additional support to enable them to make good progress.
We have a dedicated Learning Support Staff team, of teaching assistants and higher level teaching assistants led by our SENDCO. They work with our students in and out of the class room to support students’ learning, give guidance and support independence throughout the seven years in school. This enables our students to experience a curriculum which is challenging and accessible. The diversity of skills within the team ensures we are able to support a wide range of difficulties and disabilities.
Where to go for guidance:-
- Form tutors – your first point of contact for any concerns about your child, any questions and for when you need to alert us to anything. Tutors will liaise with colleagues and the SEND team as needed, so will usually be the only member of staff you need to talk to. They may hand you over to others if there is anything that needs following up, but they will always make sure they keep up to date with outcomes.
- SENDCO Drop in Clinic. If you have a question specifically for our SENDCO you can either e-mail him directly James.Wyatt@ridgeway.herts.sch.uk or come to the Tuesday morning SENDCO drop in clinic between 8.15am & 8.45am.
- Planner – at Ridgeway Academy we have well-managed and consistent frameworks so everybody knows how things work and can rely on being treated fairly. Every student has his or her own school planner with space to record their timetable and homework and the planner has lots of useful information for parents and students about the way the school works and how to be a happy and successful member of the school community. These are checked weekly and you can write messages for the Form Tutor here.
- The school website and Insight – you don’t need to worry about letters home going astray or about key dates or information because it’s all online. Insight is our fortnightly newsletter for students and parents/carers. Together with the website they help us make sure you have all the information you need to help your child make the most of their time at Ridgeway Academy.
The SEND team
The SEND team are the at the heart of Ridgeway Academy’s provision.
Their work includes: –
- Screening all students for reading comprehension or spelling difficulties in Year 7 and testing students spelling and reading ages every year through to Year 10
- Monitoring, assessment and observation of student’s teachers are concerned about, and providing expertise around individual students needs and strategies for supporting them.
- Partnership work with our partner schools in the multi academy trust and with our primary feeder schools, working closely to ensure a smooth transition for those who will be coming to Ridgeway Academy.
- Preparing SEND reports, care plans and pastoral support plans
- Managing any SEND referrals to outside agencies or specialists where we want expert input to analyse difficulties and make recommendations and working in multi-disciplinary teams supporting any SEND students with complex needs or who are vulnerable.
- Managing SEND budgets, based not only on standard funding but on successful bids for additional funding for exceptional needs.
Partnership with parents, carers and students
We know that students make best progress and make the most of their time at school when they are working together with their teachers, helpers, parents and carers and aiming for targets that are challenging and achievable. We review progress together – both through standard reviews and, if needed, discussions with teachers, pastoral staff, Directors of Learning and the SENDCO.
Parents and carers of students with an Educational, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) of Special Educational Needs are always asked to attend an annual review meeting and to input to the formal report we submit as part of the process.
Ridgeway Academy always values teamwork. We believe that effective working with students, parents and carers is the heart of our SEND provision and we look forward to working together.
In addition to Parent Consultation Evenings, where you can make an appointment to meet our SENDCO, we also run two SEND Parent Consultation days each term. You will be invited to meet with a member of the SEND team to review your child’s progress.
If you need to see our SENDCO in person we also run a weekly drop in clinic on Tuesdays 8.15am – 8.45am.
At Ridgeway Academy we want to make sure that our approach to SEND meets your child’s needs. In order to do this, we invite you to join the SEND & Disadvantaged working party for families. We meet termly and your involvement and views are much appreciated.