Subject Leader: Mr J Chappell

Dance Teachers: Miss S Vaughan and Ms S Standage

Dance is a popular and highly regarded subject at Ridgeway Academy. It is taught in years 7-9 and is offered as an optional subject in Key Stage 4. Students also have the opportunity to study dance as an examination subject at GCSE level. Furthermore, dance is an extremely popular extra-curricular activity for all years.

Dance helps students develop a number of skills:

  • Visual appreciation of dance and choreography
  • Balanced judgement
  • Information gathering and assessment
  • Ability to work on your own or as part of a team
  • Communication

Keystage 3 Dance

Students study a range of units within Key Stage 3 aimed at developing their choreography, performance and appreciation skills. They are introduced to different dance styles including:

  • Street Dance
  • Jazz
  • Contemporary Dance
  • Capoeira

It also enables students to explore a range of cultural dances such as African, Troika, Bollywood and Russian. Students also gain an understanding of how these have developed over time.

Keystage 4 GCSE Dance

Students follow the AQA GCSE Dance course. 60% of the course is practically assessed through three pieces of work, two assessing performance skills and one assessing choreography skills. The remaining 40% of the course is theory based and is assessed in a 1 hour and 30 minute written examination paper.

Through the GCSE course, students develop skills, knowledge and understanding of dance as a choreographer, performer and critic through:

  • Applying and adapting a wide range of skills and techniques effectively in performing and choreographing dance, including the ability to improve;
  • Creating dances for a range of purposes and in response to different stimuli;
  • Developing the ability to analyse, evaluate and appreciate dance;
  • Students also develop their appreciation of the contribution of dance to their personal and social health, fitness and wellbeing and develop awareness of the range of opportunities and pathways available in dance.

Theatre visits are an integral part of the course giving the students the opportunity to study live professional dance.

Extra-Curricular Dance

Extra-Curricular Dance is extremely popular within the school. Lunch time and after school dance clubs are available for all year groups from beginners through to advanced dancers offering a range of dance styles.

There is an annual school gym and dance show where students get the opportunity to perform.

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages